In a tragic attempt to reach Europe, dozens of Moroccans died trying to cross into Spain. Ayoub Akbili, Hamza Haibouri, and Abdelouahed Iken were among them, driven by dreams of a better life. They believed false rumors that the border was open. In late July, tens of thousands of Moroccans and other migrants headed to Ceuta, a Spanish city on the North African coast. At least 90 people died in the attempt. Social media rumors and human smuggling networks have been blamed. Moroccan authorities have increased border security. Families of the deceased face high costs to repatriate their loved ones' bodies.
CASABLANCA, Morocco (AP) — Hundreds of migrants trying to reach the Spanish exclave of Ceuta by land and sea were arrested by Moroccan securit…
Moroccan security forces stand guard as migrants gather on a hill attempting to cross from the border town of Fnideq to the Spanish enclave of Ceuta, Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026. (AP Photo)
Migrants are detained by Moroccan security forces after attempting to cross from the border town of Fnideq to the Spanish enclave of Ceuta, Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026. (AP Photo)
Morocco security forces, bottom left, patrol the Spanish-Moroccan border seen from the Spanish enclave of Ceuta, Saturday, Aug. 15, 2026. (AP Photo/Antonio Sempere)
WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge is allowing the Department of Homeland Security to go ahead for now with plans to build a border wall throug…
Key senators have unveiled a short-term spending bill to avoid a government shutdown during the middle of campaign season. The bill unveiled Sunday would keep federal agencies funded past the midterm elections, through Dec. 11. The Senate is likely to vote on the measure before leaving Washington at the end of the week for its traditional August recess. Many lawmakers want to spend the coming weeks shoring up their reelection prospects rather than working in the nation’s capital. By extending government funding now, lawmakers can use the ensuing months to work out their differences on funding for the full year.
Spain has installed a 500-meter containment barrier on the sea border between its North African territory of Ceuta and Morocco. This follows a massive breach where 50,000 to 60,000 migrants crossed the frontier between Thursday and Friday. At least 67 migrants died in the journey. Some drowned or were killed in a stampede. On Saturday, some migrants who swam to Ceuta were escorted back by soldiers. Spain's interior ministry says most have returned to Morocco. Spanish Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska emphasized cooperation with Morocco in resolving the situation. Ceuta's President Juan Jesús Vivas noted the city remains unsettled.
Eleven people were charged Friday with causing the deaths of seven migrants by trapping them inside a train container in sweltering Texas heat…
McALLEN, Texas (AP) — A nun who was taken into immigration custody last month in Texas said Thursday that she went into a cold sweat as two ar…