A ribbon cutting was held for the new William O'Brien Middle School on Monday. 

The new three-story building north of Reno was constructed on the old athletic fields. New athletics fields will be built on the footprint of the old school and ready in 2023. 

The school's principal says the new space is going to make a big difference after being 200 students overcrowded last year.

They're now starting off the school year with 1,100 students with the building able to hold 1,400.

“We finally have the space to do the type of learning and activities that we've wanted to do and haven't been able to do. We have one of the smallest classroom sizes possible in the old building. Now we're able to bring on programs like culinary and have a greenhouse project and program, new STEM lab,” says Principal Melynda Baker.

The Washoe County School District says the new school will allow for all 6th graders to join their 7th and 8th grade peers at the same school. 

Washoe County students start the new school year in two weeks.