Convicted killer Todd Tonnochy was sentenced to prison on Monday for  murdering Hailey Nieto.

A jury found Todd Tonnochy guilty of second-degree murder this past August. For that, he will serve ten years in prison and then eligible for parole. 

Because of the deadly weapon enhancement, that will add up to 10 years in prison.

Tonnochy shot and killed Nieto in a downtown Reno motel, then partially dismembered her body before dumping her along the train tracks.

Last week, Nieto's family filed a lawsuit alleging negligence in connection with her death.

The lawsuit alleges convicted murderer Todd Tonnochy was communicating with the teen when he was in jail for other crimes and threatened her with sex trafficking and murder.

The suit alleges the messages to Nieto were not investigated, and Tonnochy was released from jail in January of 2023.

The lawsuit says in the months that followed Tonnochy began to sex traffick Nieto at the Siegel Suites in Reno and killed her less than two months after his release.

The lawsuit also names Siegel Suites as a defendant and Smart Communications - the company that runs the system allowing inmates to communicate with people outside of jail.

Siegel Suites released this statement to 2 News Nevada: 

"Siegel Suites extends its heartfelt condolences to the family of Hailey Nieto. Months ago, a jury conclusively identified the individual responsible for her tragic death, despite that person’s attempts to conceal their crime. It is unfortunate that Siegel Suites Nevadan has been named in a baseless lawsuit that disregards the jury’s unanimous verdict regarding accountability for Ms. Nieto’s death. The sole individual responsible for this heinous act has been apprehended, found guilty, and is now awaiting sentencing. Siegel Suites looks forward to justice being served at the sentencing set for December 2nd. Siegel Suites Nevadan has no choice but to vigorously defend the meritless claims contained in the lawsuit."

The sheriff's office also responded to our request saying "as a matter of policy, Washoe County does not comment on pending litigation."

Update August 28, 6:40 p.m.

A jury has found Todd Tonnochy guilty of second-degree murder.

Our crew in the courtroom confirms Tonnochy was found guilty of second-degree murder, with the jury reaching a not guilty finding on first-degree murder.

He was also found guilty of destroying evidence, possession of a deadly weapon and intimidating, our crew confirms.

Sentencing is set for December 2nd.

Closing arguments in the trial wrapped up earlier in the day, with the prosecution saying witness testimony contradicted Tonnochy's description of events.

The defense claimed the shooting was an accident.

---

Update August 27, 4:42 p.m.

Both sides have rested in the trial of Todd Tonnochy.

The prosecution rested after calling multiple witnesses, and the defense rested after calling just one.

---

Update August 20, 6:55 a.m.

The trial of Todd Tonnochy is scheduled to continue Tuesday morning.

---

Update August 19, 6:37 p.m.

Attorneys made opening statements Monday in the trial of Todd Tonnochy, 40, charged in the killing of 18-year-old Hailey Nieto.

Tonnochy is accused of shooting Nieto in a motel in downtown Reno in March 2023, then enlisting the help of accomplices to partially dismember her body and hide her remains in a pile of trash in Cold Springs.

His defense is arguing that the shooting was a mistake, and everything that followed was the result of Tonnochy panicking.

"There is no scenario, there is no version, there is no statement, where Mr. Tonnochy knowing that that gun was loaded, pointed it at Hailey Nieto and pulled the trigger with the intent to kill her," Tonnochy’s lawyer said in opening statements on Monday.

The defense and the state acknowledged that the shooting was not caught on camera, and witnesses recount several different versions of how it happened. Both sides said that Tonnochy and witnesses have made claims that the gun was jammed, and Tonnochy was trying to fix it when he accidentally shot Nieto. Other witnesses allegedly say Tonnochy and Nieto were fiddling with the gun’s laser sight when it discharged. Another witness version of the story claims that Nieto tossed the gun to Tonnochy when it went off.

The state emphasized that no matter the story, Tonnochy did not seek immediate help for Nieto.

"Within 30 to 40 seconds of Hailey being shot, the defendant comes out of the room. The evidence will show he doesn't call 911. He doesn't call anyone. He doesn't seek any help for Hailey,” the District Attorney’s office said.

The state will start calling its first witnesses when the jury reconvenes tomorrow morning.

---

Update August 19, 2024, 2:18 p.m.

Jury selection is underway for the trial of a man accused of shooting and killing an 18-year-old woman in a downtown Reno motel.

Todd Tonnochy, 40, faces one count of murder in connection with the death of Hailey Nieto.

The District Attorney’s office has also charged him with threatening witnesses.

In a court filing, attorneys accuse Tonnochy of working with several accomplices to threaten and intimidate people who had spoken with police about the alleged killing.

---

SEPTEMBER 25, 2023

The man accused of killing an 18-year-old north of Reno has pleaded not guilty. 

The Washoe County District Attorney's Office says Todd Tonnochy pleaded not guilty all charges - he will now go to trial starting in August 2024.

He is accused of killing Hailey Nieto and leaving her body near a road in Cold Springs in March.

SEPTEMBER 19, 2023

The man accused of killing an 18-year-old near Cold Springs is facing new charges in part due to his alleged conduct following his arrest.

According to the Reno Justice Court, Todd Tonnochy is now facing charges related to attempting to bribe and intimidating a witness.

The Washoe County District Attorney's office tells us along with his conduct -- they were filed based on evidence from prior convictions.

Tonnochy is accused of killing Hailey Nieto in March.

He's now scheduled to be back in court next Monday, September 25th.

July 17 Update:

On Monday, a judge denied Tonnochy's request for new representation.

His preliminary hearing is set to happen September 15.

June 24 Update:

The man accused of killing an 18-year-old mother earlier this year is expected in court on Monday. 

Todd Tonnochy is accused of killing Hailey Nieto and leaving her body near a road in Cold Springs in March.

According to court documents, Tonnochy has already made appearances in court on March 19 and June 5. 

Tonnochy's next court appearance will be a status hearing.

Tonnochy remains in the Washoe County Jail where he is being held on no bail.

May 18 Update:

The man accused of killing 18-year-old Hailey Nieto is now back in Washoe County after being extradited from Texas.

39-year-old Todd Tonnochy was booked into the Washoe County Jail on Thursday on charges of open murder and concealing/destroying evidence. 

Tonnochy was arrested by U.S. Marshals on March 28 in Midland, Texas. 

As of right now, there is a no court date scheduled for Tonnochy.

Nieto's body was found on the dirt extension of North Virginia Street in March, and her death was ruled a homicide. 

MARCH 31, 2023: 

Authorities say a man is now behind bars accused of killing 18-year-old Hailey Nieto and leaving her body near a road in Cold Springs last week. 

On March 28, 2023, through an investigation led by the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office, the U.S. Marshals Service arrested 39-year-old Todd Tonnochy.

On March 28, 2023, the U.S. Marshals, with the assistance of the Midland County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division and SWAT team, successfully located Tonnochy at a motel in Midland, Texas, where they took him into custody.  

Washoe County Sheriff’s Office detectives say there are no outstanding suspects in this case, and they would like to thank the members of the public who provided tips and information.

----

A viewing was held Wednesday for the woman whose body was found north of Reno last week.

The family sent us photos of the viewing they had for Hailey Nieto at Mountain View Mortuary. 

Her brother and parents were among those who attended the 18-year-old's viewing.

As we reported, her body was found last week with a gunshot wound on the dirt extension of North Virginia Street and is being investigated as a homicide.

In a statement, her family said: 

"Hailey was a daughter, mother, granddaughter, great granddaughter, cousin, niece and aunt. She loved her two baby girls and loved taking them to the park to see the ducks and go on the swings. She was a Reno Native, born and raised here. She was studying to be a mortician and wanted to work at Mountain View Mortuary someday. It’s very sad that she ended up there in a different way. She loved doing art, makeup, fashion, loved music, camping, Hawaii and Lake Tahoe in the summer. She was so empathetic, she would occasionally go to cemeteries, read about people’s stories and show her respect. She leaves behind a two-year-old and nine-month-old, Luna & Mila." 

Authorities are looking for anyone who may have been in the area between 5:00 a.m. and 12 p.m. on Thursday, March 23, 2023.

If you have any information that can help authorities, call or text your anonymous tip to Secret Witness at 775-322-4900. A $5,000 reward is being offered. 

The family has set up a GoFundMe page to help expenses. Click below -