Robert Barber buried his 28-year-old son, Austyn, in August 2023, and for nine months, he says he’s been stuck waiting for answers.
At the time, Lyon County Deputies arrested Austyn’s 44-year-old wife Jaime Barber on charges of murder, but she claimed that she shot Austyn in self-defense. The county released her from custody days later, and since then, the case has remained open but unchanged.
Robert says his family is in limbo.
“I do keep in contact with the DA and the Detective out there, and I get the same answer, waiting on ballistics. Waiting on ballistics, and I just don’t realize, you know, why does it take so long? Why?” he told 2 News Nevada on Thursday, standing beside his son’s gravesite.
Lyon County District Attorney Stephen Rye has given 2 News Nevada similar answers since January.
“The DA's Office is still waiting for some additional information on the case. It has taken longer than usual, but not an unreasonable amount of time,” he wrote on Thursday. “Once we receive the information the case review and decision will be done quickly.”
In the meanwhile, the Barber family is not only facing the emotional toll of Austyn’s death, but real-world consequences.
Robert Barber says he’d like to settle his son’s estate, but Austyn and Jaime Barber were still legally married before Austyn’s Death. Without answers on whether Austyn’s killing was justified, the family is going through probate uncertain as to who will inherit Austyn’s mementos and assets.
But above physical belongings, Robert says what he wants most is closure.
“I just want this case to proceed, and either way, I’ll deal with it,” he said. “But it needs something to happen. We need something to happen in this.”
