Gender-Affirming Care
- J. Scott Applewhite - AP
- Updated
FILE - A portrait of President Donald Trump is displayed at the Justice Department building in Washington, June 2, 2026.
J. Scott Applewhite - APAs featured on
A federal appeals court says President Donald Trump’s goal of ending gender-affirming care is not improper and cannot be the basis for quashing a subpoena. The 2-1 decision Friday by a panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals revived the Justice Department's subpoena against QueerDoc. The telemedicine company provides medical treatment for transgender youth. The Justice Department announced last year that it had issued more than 20 subpoenas to doctors and clinics that provide gender-affirming care as part of an effort to investigate healthcare fraud. Federal judges have quashed many of the subpoenas as illegitimate efforts to intimidate providers into ending treatment.
The Justice Department is defending its prosecution of former FBI Director James Comey and says there's "no serious dispute” that a social media post of seashells he made could be understood as a threat against President Donald Trump. Prosecutors late Tuesday also called into question Comey’s account that he found the seashells in the numerical arrangement “86 47” while walking on a North Carolina beach. Trump is the 47th president. Prosecutors say Comey intended a physical threat or knew that the number 86 could suggest violence. Comey's legal team calls it a vindictive prosecution and says Comey’s post didn't amount to a true threat.
Most Popular
Articles
- Reno traffic stop leads to arrest and major drug, gun seizure
- Traffic moving again on I-80 east near Vista Blvd. after earlier multi-car crash
- Davidson Academy ranks No. 4 among nation's best high schools for second year
- Driver arrested for DUI after trailer tips over
- Carson City Sheriff's Office seeks suspect in vehicle burglary
- Wingfield Springs family captures video of bobcat family in their backyard
- Driver accused of stealing car in Sacramento, then crashing it near Donner Pass Road
- Reno Police stress traffic safety amid two crashes between people and cars this week
- Man accused of fatally stabbing his own mother arraigned
- Police seek tips after driver flees following crash that struck 5-year-old child in Reno, reward offered
Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.
