WH Press Secretary Dismisses Criticism of President Trump

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders says the notion that President Donald Trump is responsible for the packages sent to his opponents is "disgraceful."

She told reporters Thursday there's a big difference between "comments made and actions taken."

Suspicious packages addressed to actor Robert De Niro and former Vice President Joe Biden were intercepted Thursday, and investigators said they were similar to crude pipe bombs sent to former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and CNN.

Sanders says the president is not responsible for sending suspicious packages any more than Democratic Sen. Bernie Sanders, an Independent from Vermont, was responsible for one of his supporters shooting up a GOP baseball practice last year in Virginia. The gunman, James Hodgkinson, had posted social media messages suggesting he targeted the team because of his political views.

Law enforcement officials say the suspected explosive device sent to Robert De Niro may have been sitting in the building's mailroom for a day or more before it was discovered. Two officials told The Associated Press on Thursday that a person affiliated with the Tribeca Film Center was off work when he saw an image on the Internet and elsewhere of the package sent to CNN. That person, who has a background in law enforcement, recalled seeing a similar package at the film center mailroom earlier.

Earlier, President Trump claimed much of the "Anger" in society is "caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media."

Without referring specifically to the rash of explosive devices, Trump said: "A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News." Trump frequently labels stories he doesn't like as "fake news."

The president says what he calls "fake news" has gotten bad and the mainstream media must "clean up its act, FAST."

An explosive sent to CNN prompted the evacuation of the Time Warner Center in New York, but no one was hurt.

Trump took a softer tone at a rally in Wisconsin on Wednesday, saying, "Let's get along."


ORIGINAL STORY:

President Trump on Wednesday declared political violence has "no place" in the United States, after suspicious packages were sent to the Clintons, former President Barack Obama, Rep. Maxine Waters and CNN. 

None of the packages reached their intended targets, and federal authorities are investigating. Trump has been briefed, and said at a White House event on the opioid crisis Wednesday the federal government will spare no expense getting to the bottom of what happened. 

"We will spare no resources or expense in this effort," the president said of the investigation into devices sent to those individuals. "We have to come together and send one very clear, strong, unmistakable message that acts or threats of political violence of any kind have no place in the U.S."

"We are extremely angry, upset, unhappy, and we will get to the bottom of it," he added. 

New York City's police commissioner says a package sent to CNN's offices in New York contained what appeared to be a live explosive and an envelope containing white powder. Tests are being conducted on the powder. 

At a briefing near Manhattan's Time Warner Center, Commissioner James O'Neill pledged to bring the perpetrators to justice.

The police department's top counterterrorism official, John Miller, said the substance was being tested to see if it is dangerous.

Cuomo said at the briefing that "we will not allow these terrorist thugs to change the way we live our lives."

During a press conference, Cuomo also mentioned that his Manhattan office also received a suspicious device. But it later turned out to not be a bomb, and its contents were unrelated to Wednesday's packages.

The officials said the CNN bomb was crude but operational and was addressed to former CIA Director John Brennan, a contributor on MSNBC not CNN.

The packages contained crude but functional low-ordnance explosive devices, a law enforcement official told CBS News senior investigative producer Pat Milton. At least two of the devices consisted of a pipe, wires and black powder, the official said.

In Sunrise, Florida, the office of Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz was evacuated over a suspicious package. A bomb squad was responding Wednesday morning. 

A law enforcement source tells CBS News the device addressed to the Clinton home resembled a pipe bomb, similar to an explosive device sent to the home of billionaire financier George Soros that was discovered on Monday. The source said the package addressed to the Clinton home was sent through the U.S. Postal Service. Clinton's home is about eight miles from Soros' residence in upstate New York.

Hillary Clinton is headlining a fundraiser Wednesday for Florida congressional candidate Donna Shalala.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders condemned "the attempted violent attacks recently made against President Obama, President Clinton, Secretary Clinton, and other public figures."

"These terrorizing acts are despicable, and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law," Sanders said in a statement Wednesday morning. "The United States Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies are investigating and will take all appropriate actions to protect anyone threatened by these cowards."

In a tweet, Vice President Mike Pence said: We condemn the attempted attacks against fmr Pres Obama, the Clintons, @CNN & others. These cowardly actions are despicable & have no place in this Country. Grateful for swift response of @SecretService, @FBI & local law enforcement. Those responsible will be brought to justice.”

House Speaker Paul Ryan thanked law enforcement and condemned the actions that "attempt to terrorize public figures," in a tweet.

"Those behind such reprehensible acts must be brought to justice," the Wisconsin Republican wrote. "We cannot tolerate any attempt to terrorize public figures."

First Lady Melania Trump is condemning "all forms of threats and violence" in connection with the devices. 

The first lady's office says in a statement that, "Mrs. Trump condemns all forms of threats and violence" and "thanks law enforcement for their heroic efforts."

(The Associated Press, CBS News contributed to this report.)