UPDATE - May 19,2026: 10:31 a.m.:

Washoe County officials announced Tuesday they are seeking the death penalty against Nicholas Loving in the murder of his 5-year-old daughter, Izabella Loving.

During a press conference, Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks said prosecutors allege Izabella suffered more than two-and-a-half years of repeated torture, abuse, and isolation before her death in April 2025.

Hicks said Nicholas Loving is charged with first-degree murder under two legal theories, including allegations he physically abused Izabella, subjected her to torture, and committed child abuse resulting in substantial bodily harm and death.

Andrea Loving also remains charged with murder. Prosecutors under two legal theories allege she either aided and abetted or conspired in the abuse that led to Izabella’s death. Hicks said prosecutors also contend she allowed the abuse and neglect to occur as a person responsible for the child’s care.

Officials said both defendants remain in custody. Nicholas Loving is being held without bail, while Andrea Loving’s bail remains set at $2 million.

Hicks said Nevada law does not allow prosecutors to seek the death penalty against Andrea Loving under the current charges and case law, but said prosecutors intend to pursue full accountability.

According to Hicks, prosecutors formally filed notice Tuesday morning seeking the death penalty against Nicholas Loving after what he described as an extensive legal and evidentiary review conducted alongside the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office and other partners.

Hicks said prosecutors believe two aggravating factors support the death penalty filing: a prior felony conviction involving the use or threat of violence stemming from a 2014 child abuse case causing substantial bodily harm, and allegations Izabella was killed through torture as a child under the age of 14.

Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam said the sheriff’s office fully supports the decision, citing what he called the extraordinary severity of the case and the substantial amount of evidence uncovered during the investigation.

Balaam also thanked members of the community for providing tips and information throughout the investigation and urged residents to report suspected child abuse or neglect.


UPDATE - May 19, 2026: 

Washoe County officials are now providing a major update in the criminal case against Nicholas and Andrea Loving, the Cold Springs parents accused in the death of their 5-year-old daughter, Izabella Loving. This case has shaken the Northern Nevada community for more than a year.

District Attorney Christopher Hicks and Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam are expected to discuss new developments in the investigation and prosecution during Tuesday morning’s press conference.

Nicholas and Andrea Loving have both pleaded not guilty to multiple charges connected to Izabella’s death, including murder charges filed after the Washoe County Medical Examiner ruled the child’s death a homicide. Prosecutors previously alleged Izabella suffered years of abuse inside the family’s Cold Springs home before investigators found her dead in April 2025.

Watch the briefing live in the player above.


ORIGINAL STORY - March 11, 2026:

The Cold Springs parents accused of killing their 5-year-old daughter, Izabella both pleaded not guilty to all charges, on Wednesday.

Andrea and Nicholas Loving are both charged in the little girl's murder. 

Both parents are next scheduled to appear in court in late May for a status hearing where a trial date could be set. 

DECEMBER 23, 2025:

A new amended criminal complaint details what led the Washoe County District Attorney’s Office to charge Andrea Loving with first degree murder.

The complaint says the abuse last from December 2022 to April of this year. It alleges Andrea Loving helped Nicholas Loving in the killing of their daughter, Izabella Loving.

Documents suggest that she also helped with covering up the abuse. The office alleges she had two of her children lie to police and Child Protective Services, having them blame their other sibling for the injuries.

The complaint claims the parents did not enroll Izabella into school even though she was of age to also hide the abuse. It also alleges the mother told the father the little girl was deserving of the abuse and wanted him to be the one that delivers it.

A date has not been set for Andrea Loving’s next court hearing, but Nicholas Loving’s next appearance is scheduled for January 7.

The DA's Office says both parents have waived their preliminary hearings with Reno Justice Court, and their cases are being bound over to Second Judicial District Court for all further proceedings.

The Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks released this statement after the announcement: 

“The loss of Izabella Loving continues to weigh heavily on our community and everyone in my office,” said DA Chris Hicks. “As this case continues to move forward, the facts uncovered only reinforce the seriousness of what occurred and the responsibility we have to pursue justice for Izzy. With the benefit of additional evidence and continued investigative efforts by our law enforcement, my office has expanded the charges against Andrea Loving to reflect the nature and extent of her actions. These filings represent careful, deliberate decisions based on the evidence and our obligation to seek justice on Izzy’s behalf.

Although we are limited in what we can publicly disclose at this stage, the public can be assured that this case remains an active priority. We will continue to provide information as permitted while safeguarding the integrity of the legal process.”

Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam released this statement: 

“With the recent filing of expanded charges against Andrea Loving by the Washoe County District Attorney’s Office, our agency remains steadfast in our commitment to Izzy and to ensuring that every aspect of this investigation is carried forward with the highest level of care and thoroughness. This development marks another significant step toward achieving full accountability for the tragedy that occurred.

We continue to work closely with the District Attorney’s Office as this case progresses through the criminal justice system, and we remain deeply grateful for the collaboration among all partner agencies involved from the very beginning. Our focus remains on honoring Izzy’s memory, supporting those affected by this case, and advocating for the safety and protection of every child in our community.

As always, we urge our community to remain vigilant and to report any suspected abuse or neglect. Every report can make a difference, and every child deserves to be protected.”

AUGUST 14, 2025

According to court hearing results, a judge has denied multiple motions to restrict public and media access in the case of Nicholas and Andrea Loving, the Cold Springs parents accused of child abuse in the death of their 5-year-old daughter, Izabella.

Nicholas was recently charged with open murder after the medical examiner ruled Izabella's death a homicide. Investigators found the toddler dead in her Cold Springs home back in April.

During Thursday’s hearings, both defendants appeared separately before Judge Ryan Sullivan.

In Nicholas Loving’s case, the court denied an emergency motion to prohibit electronic coverage at pre-trial hearings, as well as a motion to limit the dissemination of confidential case information to the public.

The court also denied Andrea Loving’s similar motion to limit pre-trial public comment by the parties, law enforcement agents, and judicial district staff.

Defense attorneys for both Nicholas and Andrea requested a 60-day continuance, which the state did not oppose. The court set a mandatory status conference for both defendants on Oct. 16, 2025, at 1:30 p.m.

+1 
+1 
Loving case court hearing
+1 
+1 
Loving case court hearing

AUGUST 12, 2025:

Nicholas and Andrea Loving both attended court on Tuesday following the death of their five-year-old daughter, Izabella, in an April homicide.

Nicholas Loving had his bail hearing today where he pleaded not guilty, and the judge approved a request for a no bail hold. He is also waiving his right to a speedy trial.

As for Andrea Loving, her motion hearing has been pushed to later this week.

The defense team for both Loving parents claim they have filed additional information for both Nicholas and Andrea's probable cause sheets.

Neither judges have had the chance to look through the new information yet, resulting in the rescheduling.

As we've been reporting, both parents are accused of child abuse against their daughter.

Last week, Nicholas was charged with open murder after the medical examiners ruled Izabella's death a homicide. Investigators found the toddler dead in her Cold Springs home back in April.

Andrea and Nicholas are both due back in court Thursday morning at 9.